Nov 7, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
There are a bunch of ways to take this one. Scary, funny, bizarre, and the story is all three. So we’re going to try and tread those three lines, carefully.
Let’s say you’re a murder suspect. In fact, you’re on video in a confrontation with a man who was shot twice in the back in the head and three times in the back after said confrontation. It’s probably time to lay low for a while, to get out of sight, and avoid people for a while.
Naturally, you go to a Charlotte Bobcats game. From the Charlotte Observer:
Members of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Team arrested 24-year-old Earl Barranco during the game, according to WCNC-TV, the Observer’s news partner.
Undercover officers took down Barranco in one of the VIP areas of the arena before 8 p.m., but police didn’t have more details on the arrest Sunday morning.
Barranco was apparently in the VIP section for the game, and was arrested before 8 p.m.. The game started at 7 p.m. All jokes aside, and I have about a million of them (“Of course he thought there’d be no one there.” “Maybe he assumed police would be distracted by Stephen Jackson.” etc.) but the fact is that this is pretty scary. It’s a very public place with kids and families and mascots. That the apprehension occurred at TWC arena may have been necessary, but it also doesn’t make the situation any less scary.
Turns out Vince Carter’s hip-flexor injury (we’ll get there in a minute) wasn’t the weirdest thing to happen last night.
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 2
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 7
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 3
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 44
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7
- Report: Lakers considering bringing back Metta World Peace 33