Nov 7, 2010, 12:10 AM EST
Going to see a lot of this for the next, oh, five or six years. When you have multiple all-world athletes on your team, things like this are going to happen. Behold! The totally unnecessary but awesome looking alley-oop!
Yeah, that’s pretty ridiculous. It’s also fairly indicative of the Heat and their attitude.
Magic’s Showtime was remarkable because it was fast, brilliant, explosive, athletic, showy basketball that was also functional. The problem with the Heat so far is that they’re trying to be too much Globetrotter, not enough function. This is a terrific play, but it’s not made to beat a defense, it’s just being flashy for flashy’s sake.
This would be less of a problem if they looked like they were able to grind out wins against good defenses. But with the exception of the Orlando game, they’ve still struggled when teams have buckled up. New Jersey ran out of bullets in the third tonight, but it still wasn’t as dominant as the score would suggest.
Of course, this would be more of a problem if they weren’t still winning. But the Hornets loss showed a very clear path of how to bust the Heat. If the Triad were to show more of this ability in the context of outsmarting and out-athleting and out-talenting good defense, there’d be a whole lot more talk about them.
Wade had 29, 10, and 3, James had 29 points and 9 assists (4 turnovers) in a 12 point win.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)