Nov 7, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
Going to see a lot of this for the next, oh, five or six years. When you have multiple all-world athletes on your team, things like this are going to happen. Behold! The totally unnecessary but awesome looking alley-oop!
Yeah, that’s pretty ridiculous. It’s also fairly indicative of the Heat and their attitude.
Magic’s Showtime was remarkable because it was fast, brilliant, explosive, athletic, showy basketball that was also functional. The problem with the Heat so far is that they’re trying to be too much Globetrotter, not enough function. This is a terrific play, but it’s not made to beat a defense, it’s just being flashy for flashy’s sake.
This would be less of a problem if they looked like they were able to grind out wins against good defenses. But with the exception of the Orlando game, they’ve still struggled when teams have buckled up. New Jersey ran out of bullets in the third tonight, but it still wasn’t as dominant as the score would suggest.
Of course, this would be more of a problem if they weren’t still winning. But the Hornets loss showed a very clear path of how to bust the Heat. If the Triad were to show more of this ability in the context of outsmarting and out-athleting and out-talenting good defense, there’d be a whole lot more talk about them.
Wade had 29, 10, and 3, James had 29 points and 9 assists (4 turnovers) in a 12 point win.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 1
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 5
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 12
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42