Nov 7, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
There was talk, and then there was more talk, and it looked very much like Erick Dampier was going to be a Rocket. Even Jermaine Taylor was getting shoved out the door in a way that suggested he had his spot reserved for someone else. Certainly looks like the Rockets need some more size with Yao Ming not playing back to backs and only playing 24 minutes a game due to his recovery from the injury.
Or, you know, maybe not.
The Houston Chronicle reports that the Rockets have informed Jermaine Taylor he will not be released because they do not intend to sign Dampier after all. The best part about this story? Taylor’s not even all that happy he’s being retained.
“I’m happy to still be here and still have a job, but then again, I kind of wonder what would have happened if I went somewhere else. I won’t get any playing time here with guys like Courtney Lee, Kevin Martin, unless they get hurt. I kind of know if I went somewhere else, I would have had a chance to play. I have mixed feelings about it.”
Sorry to keep you there, Jermaine. I’m sure there are several teams dying to pick you up… and then bury you at the edge of the bench just as you are now. Taylor needs to take notice of how the Rockets have used their development talent, bringing them along slowly and then giving them more and more responsibilities. Even with the depth the Rockets have, there are opportunities to be had during a season.
For Dampier, it’s the second team that was believed to have offered a contract and then decided not so much, after Miami. So now you have to wonder what the real issue is with his body and why the Rockets have elected not to acquire him, despite a need. The Rockets need another center badly, but apparently Dampier doesn’t fit what they do. So now the question becomes who will pick him up, Portland, Sacramento, Phoenix, or anyone?
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 0
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 7
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 5
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1