Nov 7, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
There was talk, and then there was more talk, and it looked very much like Erick Dampier was going to be a Rocket. Even Jermaine Taylor was getting shoved out the door in a way that suggested he had his spot reserved for someone else. Certainly looks like the Rockets need some more size with Yao Ming not playing back to backs and only playing 24 minutes a game due to his recovery from the injury.
Or, you know, maybe not.
The Houston Chronicle reports that the Rockets have informed Jermaine Taylor he will not be released because they do not intend to sign Dampier after all. The best part about this story? Taylor’s not even all that happy he’s being retained.
“I’m happy to still be here and still have a job, but then again, I kind of wonder what would have happened if I went somewhere else. I won’t get any playing time here with guys like Courtney Lee, Kevin Martin, unless they get hurt. I kind of know if I went somewhere else, I would have had a chance to play. I have mixed feelings about it.”
Sorry to keep you there, Jermaine. I’m sure there are several teams dying to pick you up… and then bury you at the edge of the bench just as you are now. Taylor needs to take notice of how the Rockets have used their development talent, bringing them along slowly and then giving them more and more responsibilities. Even with the depth the Rockets have, there are opportunities to be had during a season.
For Dampier, it’s the second team that was believed to have offered a contract and then decided not so much, after Miami. So now you have to wonder what the real issue is with his body and why the Rockets have elected not to acquire him, despite a need. The Rockets need another center badly, but apparently Dampier doesn’t fit what they do. So now the question becomes who will pick him up, Portland, Sacramento, Phoenix, or anyone?
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37