Nov 6, 2010, 10:07 AM EDT
What’s the easiest way to move a declining point guard with three years and $41.65 million remaining on his contract who’s out with a knee injury? Talk about him publicly as being out of shape to the point of not playing him! That’s how! Or at least, that’s the Clipper way.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the Clippers are looking into what kind of offers they can receive for Baron Davis. This after Vinny Del Negro criticized Davis’ conditioning earlier this week as Baron arrived for the start of the season in his usual chunky state. Note for future reference: if you want to move someone who is difficult to move, convincing teams he’s also (still) lazy is probably not the best approach.
So who’d be looking to move for Davis? Your best chance is to try and get in on a three-way deal, possibly something involving Carmelo Anthony going elsewhere, in return for bad contracts that you can swallow. No one is desperate enough for Baron Davis right now at point guard besides Miami, and they’d have to move one of the Triad to acquire him. Somehow I don’t see that happening.
The careers of Elton Brand and Baron Davis are so bizarrely similar. Were at their peak with fanbases who loved them, decided to go elsewhere, and things fell apart. You have to wonder how things would have worked out if they’d just stayed home two years ago.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 16
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32