Nov 6, 2010, 10:07 AM EDT
What’s the easiest way to move a declining point guard with three years and $41.65 million remaining on his contract who’s out with a knee injury? Talk about him publicly as being out of shape to the point of not playing him! That’s how! Or at least, that’s the Clipper way.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the Clippers are looking into what kind of offers they can receive for Baron Davis. This after Vinny Del Negro criticized Davis’ conditioning earlier this week as Baron arrived for the start of the season in his usual chunky state. Note for future reference: if you want to move someone who is difficult to move, convincing teams he’s also (still) lazy is probably not the best approach.
So who’d be looking to move for Davis? Your best chance is to try and get in on a three-way deal, possibly something involving Carmelo Anthony going elsewhere, in return for bad contracts that you can swallow. No one is desperate enough for Baron Davis right now at point guard besides Miami, and they’d have to move one of the Triad to acquire him. Somehow I don’t see that happening.
The careers of Elton Brand and Baron Davis are so bizarrely similar. Were at their peak with fanbases who loved them, decided to go elsewhere, and things fell apart. You have to wonder how things would have worked out if they’d just stayed home two years ago.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20