Nov 6, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
So the Pistons won last night, which is a big deal for them, since it’s their first. I remember my first time. Wait, that’s not what we’re talking about. Anyway, they got off the early season snide against the Bobcats (of course) last night. The problem is they’re still 1 and 5 and have had quite a few chemistry issues in the last week. There were a lot of people wondering if the Pistons were about to make a change at the head coach with the way they’ve started out. Apparently, though, that’s not the case.
A Pistons source close to the situation said Friday evening that there is “absolutely no chance” that Kuester will be fired despite turmoil this week between Kuester and his players as well as the team’s poor start.
Okay, didn’t see that coming. If the report’s on target, it speaks to Joe Dumars’ patience and rational approach that he’s not overreacting to the way the Pistons have come out of the gate. I would have. Especially considering Tayshaun Prince is firing back at him about leadership while Rodney Stuckey keeps getting benched.
But even if Kuester’s seat is still chilly now, there’s no guarantee it will stay that way unless things start turning soon. The biggest problem is that, on the surface, the best thing for this team would be a trade to mix up the chemistry and get a better set of assets on the floor.
Either that or a time machine to go back and save the money spent on free agents in the summer of 2009.
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 4
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (39)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)