Nov 6, 2010, 1:04 PM EST
Greg Oden. Joel Przybilla. Jeff Pendergraph. Fabricio Oberto. The list of Portland bigs on the shelf just gets bigger by the day. And now, they’ll add another player and hope he doesn’t go down inside of a month.
CBSSports.com reports that the Blazers will sign Sean Marks to a non-guaranteed contract for the veteran minimum this week, after Fabricio Oberto was forced to retire due to his heart condition. Marks has not exactly ever lit it up, but he plays hard and knows what he’s doing on the floor. And at this point, the Blazers can’t really be particular about who they acquire. Can you get medically cleared to play? Then you are a big step up for the Blazers.
If I”m Marks, I want the money, but I”m also talking with my insurance agent. Singing the “All-State” song or something (“Can I get a hot tub?!”). Because there has been some bad mojo going on with the Blazers bigs over the past, oh, thirty years, and it’s hard to bet on bucking the trend. Marks’ contract is unguaranteed, so he probably won’t e around long once Oden/Przybilla get back on the floor.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13