Nov 6, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
Greg Oden. Joel Przybilla. Jeff Pendergraph. Fabricio Oberto. The list of Portland bigs on the shelf just gets bigger by the day. And now, they’ll add another player and hope he doesn’t go down inside of a month.
CBSSports.com reports that the Blazers will sign Sean Marks to a non-guaranteed contract for the veteran minimum this week, after Fabricio Oberto was forced to retire due to his heart condition. Marks has not exactly ever lit it up, but he plays hard and knows what he’s doing on the floor. And at this point, the Blazers can’t really be particular about who they acquire. Can you get medically cleared to play? Then you are a big step up for the Blazers.
If I”m Marks, I want the money, but I”m also talking with my insurance agent. Singing the “All-State” song or something (“Can I get a hot tub?!”). Because there has been some bad mojo going on with the Blazers bigs over the past, oh, thirty years, and it’s hard to bet on bucking the trend. Marks’ contract is unguaranteed, so he probably won’t e around long once Oden/Przybilla get back on the floor.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 26
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9