Nov 5, 2010, 2:13 PM EDT
Raymond Felton looked pretty good running the Knicks past the Chicago Bulls Thursday night. He’s starting to really understand how to be the point guard in the Mike D’Antoni system.
But he’s no Steve Nash.
Friday in the New York Post, Marc Berman tries to breathe life into the Nash to the Knicks idea, saying there were rumblings out of Phoenix that if the Suns start too slow Nash may be on the trading block.
No doubt, Nash would instantly vault the Knicks way up the ladder in the East. But take a deep breath Knicks fans, don’t hyperventilate, because this almost certainly will not happen.
Two reasons. First is the assumption that the Suns will want to trade Nash and rebuild. Right now he is the franchise in Phoenix, to trade him is to surrender. It is to trade away one of the most beloved sports stars in the city and invite the bad will from fans and an economic hit at the gate. Stoudemire left, but trading Nash is a different. It would be seen as ownership turning its back on the fans. The Suns are not likely to do that, and Nash isn’t likely to go Carmelo and push his way out.
But for fun, let’s say the Suns do put Nash up on the trading block: What makes you think the Knicks can get him? Look at what former Suns GM and current TNT analyst Steve Kerr told the Post:
“In that situation where you want to start over, maybe rebuild, you got to get draft picks and the Knicks don’t have any. They gave them to Houston,” Kerr told The Post before the Knicks’ 120-112 victory. “I don’t see what you put together on that roster that makes sense for Phoenix. Or Denver.”
Sorry for the cold splash of water on the face, Knicks fans, but Nash isn’t going to be moved. And even if he was you can’t get him. So you can go back to worrying about how you’re going to get ‘Melo now.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18