Nov 4, 2010, 12:34 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo, assist machine.
So far this season, Rondo is assisting on about 60 percent of his team’s baskets when he is on the floor (his assist rate).
He has racked up more assists through the first five games of the season than any player in history has done in that same stretch. More than Stockton, more than Magic, more than Cousy. It really is a thing of beauty. Rondo is averaging 16.4 points to 4 turnovers per game — a 4/1 ratio.
But it’s not just the numbers that impress, it’s when he’s getting them.
Rondo had four assists at halftime last night, as the Celtics found themselves in a fight with a plucky Bucks team. Rondo picked up four more assists in the fourth quarter, but the game remained close, as Greg Payne pointed out at Celtics Blog.
Then when it was on the line Rondo was dealing — he assisted on six of the Celtics last seven baskets in regulation, and he scored the team’s two buckets before that. He picked up another assist and in overtime.
The only thing that could slow Rondo right now is sore feet, which is something Doc Rivers admitted his point guard had during the game last night, as reported by the Boston Herald. It’s a little tough to hear that five games into the grind of the season. However, it’s not bothering Rondo’s play yet.
Rondo is playing the best basketball of his life. He’s on a streak and will not remain quite this hot. So best you watch him right now, because for all the talk of Boston’s Big 3 and what is going on at center, Rondo is the best player on that team. He is the guy making it happen.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48