Nov 4, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Right now, Team USA for the 2012 Olympics in London looks like Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and… LeBron James. Those three alone could go 3 on 5 and get out of group play.
LeBron is in, he told Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel. The other two/thirds of the Miami triad are not deciding yet.
“I would love to be a part of that team,” James said. “I think it’s an unbelievable thing to represent your country, and if Coach K needs me to be a part of that team and I’m available, hopefully I’m healthy enough to be part of that team.
“I would love to be a part of that team,” James said. “I think it’s an unbelievable thing to represent your country, and if Coach K needs me to be a part of that team and I’m available, hopefully I’m healthy enough to be part of that team.”
This whole silliness of players saying they are in for London 19 months before the camp decide who gets on the team started because of Mike Krzyzewski himself. He had Kobe Bryant on his national radio show and asked, and Kobe said he was in. Then Dwight Howard jumped in with the same thoughts.
Wade said something totally reasonable. Which was a nice bit of reality rather than spin.
“It is a ways off,” Wade said. “I’ve got a lot of other things to worry about that I deal with off the court. ”I’m not there to where I have to make a decision. I’m glad those guys said that and they’re going to play for our team. When the time comes, it will be made, but it will be a collective decision that I’ll make with my family.”
It is a ways off. Maybe in February 2012 — when we are six months out from USA Basketball camp — we can start talking about who is going. Oh, who am I kidding, let’s ask everyone now, make them commit today.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18