Nov 4, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Right now, Team USA for the 2012 Olympics in London looks like Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and… LeBron James. Those three alone could go 3 on 5 and get out of group play.
LeBron is in, he told Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel. The other two/thirds of the Miami triad are not deciding yet.
“I would love to be a part of that team,” James said. “I think it’s an unbelievable thing to represent your country, and if Coach K needs me to be a part of that team and I’m available, hopefully I’m healthy enough to be part of that team.
“I would love to be a part of that team,” James said. “I think it’s an unbelievable thing to represent your country, and if Coach K needs me to be a part of that team and I’m available, hopefully I’m healthy enough to be part of that team.”
This whole silliness of players saying they are in for London 19 months before the camp decide who gets on the team started because of Mike Krzyzewski himself. He had Kobe Bryant on his national radio show and asked, and Kobe said he was in. Then Dwight Howard jumped in with the same thoughts.
Wade said something totally reasonable. Which was a nice bit of reality rather than spin.
“It is a ways off,” Wade said. “I’ve got a lot of other things to worry about that I deal with off the court. ”I’m not there to where I have to make a decision. I’m glad those guys said that and they’re going to play for our team. When the time comes, it will be made, but it will be a collective decision that I’ll make with my family.”
It is a ways off. Maybe in February 2012 — when we are six months out from USA Basketball camp — we can start talking about who is going. Oh, who am I kidding, let’s ask everyone now, make them commit today.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 11
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48