Nov 4, 2010, 2:02 PM EST
Right now, Team USA for the 2012 Olympics in London looks like Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and… LeBron James. Those three alone could go 3 on 5 and get out of group play.
LeBron is in, he told Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel. The other two/thirds of the Miami triad are not deciding yet.
“I would love to be a part of that team,” James said. “I think it’s an unbelievable thing to represent your country, and if Coach K needs me to be a part of that team and I’m available, hopefully I’m healthy enough to be part of that team.
“I would love to be a part of that team,” James said. “I think it’s an unbelievable thing to represent your country, and if Coach K needs me to be a part of that team and I’m available, hopefully I’m healthy enough to be part of that team.”
This whole silliness of players saying they are in for London 19 months before the camp decide who gets on the team started because of Mike Krzyzewski himself. He had Kobe Bryant on his national radio show and asked, and Kobe said he was in. Then Dwight Howard jumped in with the same thoughts.
Wade said something totally reasonable. Which was a nice bit of reality rather than spin.
“It is a ways off,” Wade said. “I’ve got a lot of other things to worry about that I deal with off the court. ”I’m not there to where I have to make a decision. I’m glad those guys said that and they’re going to play for our team. When the time comes, it will be made, but it will be a collective decision that I’ll make with my family.”
It is a ways off. Maybe in February 2012 — when we are six months out from USA Basketball camp — we can start talking about who is going. Oh, who am I kidding, let’s ask everyone now, make them commit today.
- Trade rumor update: Nets may be Kyle Lowry frontrunners 0
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 26
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (53)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (40)