Nov 4, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
UPDATE 11:30 pm: The Miami Heat have changed their mind. Matthew Bellamy is not going to a Heat game unless he pays his own way. Here is the team statement, via The Heat Index:
“An invitation was prematurely extended to [Bellamy] prior to the approval process being completed,” according to a Heat team statement released Thursday night. “Once management became aware of this, it was decided that this is not something we wanted to do.”
Here’s what really happened — Miami was willing to do this until the word leaked out, it ended up on blogs and news reports all over, the reaction wasn’t all positive (just read my original post) and they changed their mind.
Which brings us to a point Bellamy reminds us of: If you’re doing something people might object to, don’t put it on Facebook.
6:26 pm: What should you do? Apparently embrace the villain role.
You dear reader will say you don’t know who Matthew Bellamy is, I say you’re wrong. Look at the photo to the right. Remember the a——– who wore a LeBron Heat jersey to a Cleveland Indians game a few weeks after “The Decision?” The guy that had to be escorted out? That’s Bellamy.
Turns out the Heat liked that. The guys at ’64 and Counting (the Cleveland Scene sports blog, via Ball Don’t Lie) checked in on Bellamy’s Facebook page and it turns out that the Miami Heat appreciated his little stunt. So much so they have agreed to fly him down for a VIP game experience. He’s going to Miami this weekend, will attend the game, and even meet the team. All expenses paid.
I really should be shocked by this, but I’m not. Embrace it, Miami.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10