Nov 3, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
The media megaphone gives NBA players, coaches, front office officials, and owners a chance to call and respond. We’ve seen players poke at one another both jokingly and pointedly, coaches attempt to jar their players, opponents take shots from across the wall, and almost every conceivable combination of parties make comments of every ilk.
In more than a few of those instances, the relay of comments becomes a typical game of telephone, in which crucial words and qualifiers are often dropped for the sake of a good headline or simplification. It can lead to some hilarious misunderstandings, but more often than not it just has our favorite NBA regulars talking past one another.
Case in point? The absurd “LeBron James for Defensive Player of the Year” quasi-exchange between Orlando Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy and Miami Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra. From Tim Povtak of NBA FanHouse, here is Stan Van Gundy’s response to a comment that was never really made:
“He (James) is the Defensive Player of the Year after five games? Wow. I would say that’s a quick rise to prominence defensively,” Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said sarcastically after Wednesday morning’s Magic practice. “Nothing surprises me. I just didn’t realize we were going to start the campaign this early. ”
That’s probably a reasonable retort to the claim that LeBron had become the DPoY favorite, but no one ever said such a thing. Here is the instigating quote of this ridiculous conversation, courtesy of Joseph Goodman of the Miami Herald:
“The reality is we added a first-team all-defensive player in LeBron James,” Spoelstra said. “He has already proven himself on that side of the floor. He is capable and hopefully will be considered for Defensive Player of the Year this year if he has the year we anticipate.”
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4