Nov 3, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is all about recruiting. College basketball ultimately is about recruiting, and you don’t get to Coach K’s status without being very good at it.
He’s already started recruiting — and landing top players — for his side gig as USA Basketball head coach for the 2012 Olympics in London. First up, Kobe Bryant, who went on Krzyzewski’s radio program Tuesday.
“You guys want me there, I am there and I’m ready to defend,” Bryant said. “And then when you guys need me to put some points on the board, I’ll do that, too…”
“It’s a huge honor to be a part of that,” Bryant said.
Kobe played a key role — becoming the defensive stopper for Team USA plus scoring some points — in winning the gold medal in Beijing. However, Kobe will be 34 by the time of the London games.
Getting players will not be the problem for Coach K in the run-up to London, virtually every healthy top player will sign up. It will be forming them into a team. But he pulled it off pretty well in China, so…
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 5
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48