Nov 3, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is all about recruiting. College basketball ultimately is about recruiting, and you don’t get to Coach K’s status without being very good at it.
He’s already started recruiting — and landing top players — for his side gig as USA Basketball head coach for the 2012 Olympics in London. First up, Kobe Bryant, who went on Krzyzewski’s radio program Tuesday.
“You guys want me there, I am there and I’m ready to defend,” Bryant said. “And then when you guys need me to put some points on the board, I’ll do that, too…”
“It’s a huge honor to be a part of that,” Bryant said.
Kobe played a key role — becoming the defensive stopper for Team USA plus scoring some points — in winning the gold medal in Beijing. However, Kobe will be 34 by the time of the London games.
Getting players will not be the problem for Coach K in the run-up to London, virtually every healthy top player will sign up. It will be forming them into a team. But he pulled it off pretty well in China, so…
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 31
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23