Nov 3, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is all about recruiting. College basketball ultimately is about recruiting, and you don’t get to Coach K’s status without being very good at it.
He’s already started recruiting — and landing top players — for his side gig as USA Basketball head coach for the 2012 Olympics in London. First up, Kobe Bryant, who went on Krzyzewski’s radio program Tuesday.
“You guys want me there, I am there and I’m ready to defend,” Bryant said. “And then when you guys need me to put some points on the board, I’ll do that, too…”
“It’s a huge honor to be a part of that,” Bryant said.
Kobe played a key role — becoming the defensive stopper for Team USA plus scoring some points — in winning the gold medal in Beijing. However, Kobe will be 34 by the time of the London games.
Getting players will not be the problem for Coach K in the run-up to London, virtually every healthy top player will sign up. It will be forming them into a team. But he pulled it off pretty well in China, so…
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28