Nov 3, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is all about recruiting. College basketball ultimately is about recruiting, and you don’t get to Coach K’s status without being very good at it.
He’s already started recruiting — and landing top players — for his side gig as USA Basketball head coach for the 2012 Olympics in London. First up, Kobe Bryant, who went on Krzyzewski’s radio program Tuesday.
“You guys want me there, I am there and I’m ready to defend,” Bryant said. “And then when you guys need me to put some points on the board, I’ll do that, too…”
“It’s a huge honor to be a part of that,” Bryant said.
Kobe played a key role — becoming the defensive stopper for Team USA plus scoring some points — in winning the gold medal in Beijing. However, Kobe will be 34 by the time of the London games.
Getting players will not be the problem for Coach K in the run-up to London, virtually every healthy top player will sign up. It will be forming them into a team. But he pulled it off pretty well in China, so…
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 2
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 12
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 35
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 11
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 14