Nov 3, 2010, 11:26 PM EDT
UPDATE 11:26 pm: It was close, but the red tide was not enough to help out Chris Dudley in a blue state. He conceded the race tonight.
1:04 pm: Two former NBA centers were on the ballot last night, trying to win elected office. One lost, one had gone into overtime and is still waiting to learn his fate.
Former Portland Trail Blazer Chris Dudley is still waiting for the final tally of the gubernatorial vote in Oregon (as of this writing it was still too close to call). He entered the race with an uphill battle — he was the Republican candidate in about the bluest state in the nation. The last time Oregon elected a Republican governor the Simpsons was just making its debut as a short on the Tracy Ulman show (1987). But the national red wave may carry him to office.
Dudley has 49 percent of the vote, which is much better than his career 41 percent shooing percentage in the NBA.
If he wins, Dudley might be the one Republican governor invited to the White House to play basketball on the court President Barack Obama had put in. Note to Dudley: When Obama is driving for a layup and you have the block lined up, just remember the Secret Service carries guns.
Dudley fared a lot better than Shawn Bradley, the 7’6” former Maverick player who ran for a House of Representatives seat in Utah. Bradley lost that race. Bradley is a Republican who lost to a Democrat in Utah, which I didn’t know could happen.
- Three coaches who could replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 0
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 5
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42