Nov 2, 2010, 10:40 AM EDT
Josh Childress is out on the court for the Suns, he’s trying.
He’s struggling, really only taking shots right at the rim (2.7 per game) and ignoring jumpers or threes (0.6 per game) unless he has to take them. It’s a far cry from the Childress who was a solid outside shooter in Atlanta before he went to Greece, where he also shot well from the outside.
A broken finger will do that. Childress broke the fingertip on his right (shooting) hand on a dunk in the preseason. Now he is trying to play through it with a splint on his finger, as he explained to Paul Coro at the Arizona Republic.
“I’m trying to not think about it and just play,” Childress said. “There will be a play where I go up for a rebound or I try to go for a steal, and I start thinking about it again. It’s probably going to bother me until it’s healed….”
“Coach (Alvin Gentry) says I’m helping, but I don’t feel like I am,” Childress said. “I expect more of myself.”
Maybe not helping, but not hurting the team is a better way to put that. But that will change in a month when the splint came off. Childress was a sixth man of the year candidate before he left for Europe and you can expect that again. Once his finger is right.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 16
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 20
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins' little wins pay off big in Game 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury