Nov 2, 2010, 8:09 PM EDT
Most of us have been pretty dumbfounded by the Mike Conley five-year extension by the Grizzlies.
Grizzlies’ owner Michael Heisley is good with it. He got the man he and his coach wanted, as he told FanHouse.
“If you go back and look at Mike Conley the last month of last year, he really came alive,” Heisley said. “When we drafted him, he was a very, very good defensive point guard in the league putting pressure on the guy with the ball. And I think he’s been much more cautious. I think he’s finally coming into his own. I think we now have the player we drafted. I would have liked to have had him two years ago, but we didn’t.
“Lionel Hollins (the Memphis coach), who was a point guard (on 1977 champion Portland and played in the 1980 and 1982 Finals with Philadelphia), basically has told me over and over and over again that Conley is going to be a good point guard, one of the better point guards in this league. That why we’ve got confidence. If you had to go up to somebody and ask them whether a guy’s going to be good point guard in this league, it helps that the guy that’s telling you was (an NBA champion with three overall Finals appearances).”
Again, you’re taking some better play at the end of last season and three games this season over more than two-and-a-half years of mediocrity. Maybe he has turned a corner. But if so, he’s a restricted free agent and you can sign him for what the market will bear. I can assure you, right now there is not a great market for Conley, not at the price he was just paid. Not at five years. It’s not that the player is awful, he’s okay, it’s the money and years given him were out of line with his production. This is the second guy the Grizzlies have paid on potential (Rudy Gay is the other) and those are big — and in this case unnecessary — risks.
But the owner and coach are happy, and they are the ones that have to live with it. Well, them and the suffering Memphis fans.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 65
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6