Nov 2, 2010, 8:09 PM EST
Most of us have been pretty dumbfounded by the Mike Conley five-year extension by the Grizzlies.
Grizzlies’ owner Michael Heisley is good with it. He got the man he and his coach wanted, as he told FanHouse.
“If you go back and look at Mike Conley the last month of last year, he really came alive,” Heisley said. “When we drafted him, he was a very, very good defensive point guard in the league putting pressure on the guy with the ball. And I think he’s been much more cautious. I think he’s finally coming into his own. I think we now have the player we drafted. I would have liked to have had him two years ago, but we didn’t.
“Lionel Hollins (the Memphis coach), who was a point guard (on 1977 champion Portland and played in the 1980 and 1982 Finals with Philadelphia), basically has told me over and over and over again that Conley is going to be a good point guard, one of the better point guards in this league. That why we’ve got confidence. If you had to go up to somebody and ask them whether a guy’s going to be good point guard in this league, it helps that the guy that’s telling you was (an NBA champion with three overall Finals appearances).”
Again, you’re taking some better play at the end of last season and three games this season over more than two-and-a-half years of mediocrity. Maybe he has turned a corner. But if so, he’s a restricted free agent and you can sign him for what the market will bear. I can assure you, right now there is not a great market for Conley, not at the price he was just paid. Not at five years. It’s not that the player is awful, he’s okay, it’s the money and years given him were out of line with his production. This is the second guy the Grizzlies have paid on potential (Rudy Gay is the other) and those are big — and in this case unnecessary — risks.
But the owner and coach are happy, and they are the ones that have to live with it. Well, them and the suffering Memphis fans.
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star 0
- Reports: Houston Rockets pull out of Asik trade talks, will keep him for now 25
- Report: Michael Jordan’s wife pregnant with twin girls 6
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) 36
- The Extra Pass: Golden State’s Elevator Screen plus Wednesday’s recaps 1
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (106)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)