Nov 2, 2010, 8:09 PM EDT
Most of us have been pretty dumbfounded by the Mike Conley five-year extension by the Grizzlies.
Grizzlies’ owner Michael Heisley is good with it. He got the man he and his coach wanted, as he told FanHouse.
“If you go back and look at Mike Conley the last month of last year, he really came alive,” Heisley said. “When we drafted him, he was a very, very good defensive point guard in the league putting pressure on the guy with the ball. And I think he’s been much more cautious. I think he’s finally coming into his own. I think we now have the player we drafted. I would have liked to have had him two years ago, but we didn’t.
“Lionel Hollins (the Memphis coach), who was a point guard (on 1977 champion Portland and played in the 1980 and 1982 Finals with Philadelphia), basically has told me over and over and over again that Conley is going to be a good point guard, one of the better point guards in this league. That why we’ve got confidence. If you had to go up to somebody and ask them whether a guy’s going to be good point guard in this league, it helps that the guy that’s telling you was (an NBA champion with three overall Finals appearances).”
Again, you’re taking some better play at the end of last season and three games this season over more than two-and-a-half years of mediocrity. Maybe he has turned a corner. But if so, he’s a restricted free agent and you can sign him for what the market will bear. I can assure you, right now there is not a great market for Conley, not at the price he was just paid. Not at five years. It’s not that the player is awful, he’s okay, it’s the money and years given him were out of line with his production. This is the second guy the Grizzlies have paid on potential (Rudy Gay is the other) and those are big — and in this case unnecessary — risks.
But the owner and coach are happy, and they are the ones that have to live with it. Well, them and the suffering Memphis fans.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32