Nov 2, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
There are certain players and certain teams where what happens at one end of the floor really impacts what happens at the other end. When the offense goes sideways, the defense follows suit.
The Oklahoma City Thunder did that over the weekend when the Jazz blew them out. And Kevin Durant told the team reporter he doesn’t want to see that again.
“One thing we can’t do is let it affect our defense and it’s done it a little bit. We’ve just got to get back to going out there and helping each other out a little bit more and playing harder. I’m the captain of this team so it starts with me. We’ve just got to make a conscious effort of coming out there and playing harder and being more locked in on the defensive end.”
Asked where he thinks the Thunder can improve defensively, Durant pointed to its help defense.
“The last game we went against a team that does a lot of cutting and we’ve got to be attached to our man,” he said. “If they get a back cut, the lower man has to help out and try to contest a shot. It’s all about helping out and making the second effort. I’m glad this is the third game. It’s only the third game of the season. We’ve got a lot more left and hopefully we’ll pick it up. A matter of fact, I know we’ll pick it up.”
Right now the Thunder sit 20th in the league in defensive efficiency, but that number (105 points per 100 opponent possessions) is skewed by the beat down the Jazz put on the Thunder. It will change and get better.
Note to Durant: One other thing you might want to get everyone working on — three point shooting. As a team the Thunder are shooting 20.8 percent from three. Dead last in the league. Need to be able to space the floor.
Thing is, does anyone really doubt the Thunder will turn it all around?
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 4
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 23
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 56
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11