Nov 1, 2010, 5:33 PM EDT
Interesting numbers from the ESPN statistics folks, which Zach Harper lays out over at TrueHoop:
Number of technical fouls per game through Oct. 31: 07-08 season, 1.18; 08-09 1.80; 09-10 1.76;
This season it is 2.42 technicals per game. Per game that is a 27 percent increase over last season.
Or look at it this way: Last season there had been 67 technicals called by Oct. 31, this season there have been 104.
This has been the impact of the new “respect for the game” technical foul rules.
It is working in this sense — complaining is certainly down. Phil Jackson said during film sessions it was “comical” to see the guys trying to hold back.
But the question is has it gone too far with some officials. Some games — New Orleans vs. Denver last Friday night for example — saw a game drag to an ugly halt during the second quarter as a parade of free throws killed the flow. There have been things like the technical on Darko Milicic this weekend in what ended up being part of a one-point loss. The line for what is and is not permissible seems to move nightly, and vary from official to official.
Personally, I think Kevin McHale hit the nail on the head.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 0
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games