Nov 1, 2010, 10:02 PM EDT
If Baron Davis breaks into a chorus of Boomtown Rats — “I don’t like Mondays” — it would be hard to blame him.
He is sitting out Monday night’s Clipper game against the San Antonio Spurs due to pain in his problem left knee. As his coach Vinny Del Negro was announcing that to the media, he was questioning Davis and his conditioning.
“He got out of shape pretty bad. He’s not in great physical condition. Baron has to put in the time….” Del Negro said before his Clippers took on the San Antonio Spurs. “Baron wants to do it. But I need to see action. Talk is talk. I’m optimistic he can do it.”
Davis said he has been working out, but his knee has been a problem for him as long as he’s been in the league. Now, however, his body is not reacting like it did a decade ago. He said his days of just starting to get ready for the season in August and playing ball three times a day is not working.
“I think this summer was a dose of reality, that I need to start a little bit ahead of time, or really train differently….” Davis said.
He’s disappointed not to be out there.
“Especially at the rate I came back, I was able to play and get out there in the preseason and start building and getting my legs back to where they needed to be coming into the season. I felt like I was building a foundation. But my knee, like I said, it’s always going to be a little problem.
“It probably just needed rest, and it flared up. Hopefully it’s a one-game thing”
Del Negro and the Clippers interim coach from the second half of last season, Kim Hughes, have both now gotten on Davis about his conditioning. But is that really going to change with Davis at this point in his career?
The Clippers hopeful future at point guard, Kentucky rookie Eric Bledsoe (that guy who was next to John Wall last season) will get the start. That’s the good news, the bad news is it is Tony Parker opposite him for his first game. Welcome to the Clippers life.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 5
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games