Oct 31, 2010, 3:40 PM EDT
He’s said this before, it’s ground we’ve covered. But because today he and the Heat were in New Jersey — game one of the “We were scored by LeBron James tour” 2010 — it came up again.
Would LeBron handle things differently? Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel had his answer.
“If I had a do-over, I think I would do it a little different.
“But I’m comfortable, I’m happy with my decision that I’ve made to come to this team.”
I sounds he’s come to peace with this summer the same way the rest of us have — fine with the choice, didn’t love how it was handled.
The decision of where to play is one he earned the right to make by playing out his contract in Cleveland. He had the right to go wherever, and the fact he took less money (not a ton, but still less) speaks to a desire to win that we say we want our players to have. The “he wasn’t man enough to do it himself” argument was always crap because not MJ, not Magic, not Bird, not Duncan, not Kareem — nobody has won a title by themselves without top-flight players around them. Charles Barkley tried, and he is ringless.
Might he have handled the announcement differently? Had the parade of teams coming to genuflect before him done differently? Had “The Decision” done differently or not at all? Yea, he might, sounds like he would rethink it.
He’s said it all before, he likely will say it again.
In the end, as a society we forgive athletes who win. Not fair, but it is reality. He will never be forgiven in Cleveland, but that was true if he left for any other team. But if LeBron and the Heat win rings, this will be a footnote to his legacy, nothing more.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16