Oct 30, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Rudy Fernandez finally gets to play a game in Madison Square Garden tonight. He’s wanted that, his agents have pushed for that all summer (pushed hard enough to get him fined, twice).
Of course, they pushed for him to be a Knick, instead he comes in as part of the visiting Portland Trail Blazers. The place he was trying to get away from.
Alan Hahn of Newsday tells us that if Fernandez does get out of Portland, the Knicks are not the likely destination because the price is a first-round pick.
The Knicks, who don’t have a first-round pick that they can trade until 2014, made an offer of two second-round picks for Fernandez, which the Blazers quickly dismissed. Knicks president Donnie Walsh could have traded Anthony Randolph to the Pacers for a first-round pick, but with a potential trade for Carmelo Anthony on the horizon, it is believed he would prefer to keep as many assets as possible.
While Fernandez’s value may remain the same, the asking price likely has gone up, especially in the wake of Portland’s trade with the New Orleans Hornets , who gave up a partially protected first-round pick in exchange for Jerryd Bayless.
“That raises the bar,” an NBA source said. “You think they’re going to take two seconds from the Knicks?”
The Knicks look like they are going to live with rookie Landry Fields at the two for now, he has looked surprisingly good in that role through two games (averaging 11 points on 50 percent shooting with seven boards).
Fernandez will come up in trade talks again, but the Blazers seem willing to wait for the market to come to them.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (67)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'