Oct 30, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Philadelphia has been unimpressive so far this season, two losses and generally looking pretty blah. You’ve got new head coach Doug Collins saying, “there’s more work to be done here than I thought.” Fans are down o the team. It’s not good.
After spending the summer with USA Basketball, Andre Iguodala is not down with another season of blah and losing.
Iguodala’s people have told the Sixers that if things don’t turn around he’d like to be traded, according to Chris Broussard of ESPN. There have been conflicting rumors but this report seems to make them fit together. The report adds that the Sixers are getting calls about him but right now there are no talks.
Think of this as the first step down a long road, Sixers fans. It could fade away and be nothing, or it could go down the Carmelo Anthony road. Way too early to tell.
Iggy’s not going to demand a trade publicly (because that comes with a fine, it is not his style and he would get shredded in the Philadelphia media and by fans). Plus, he doesn’t have the contract leverage that Carmelo Anthony has — Iggy has this season then two more on his deal, plus a player option for a fourth year. He’s a big, expensive long-term deal that’s not easy to move.
If Philadelphia even wanted to. They said they have had no such request from Iguodala. Which is true — these things work through back channels, Iguodala’s people would let the Sixers know in an informal way. It is how information travels in the NBA.
Broussard talks about Iguodala wanting to be traded to Chicago, the place everyone wants to go these days. But it will get complex because if the Sixers move him they will head into a rebuilding mode and will be looking for picks and expiring deals, things the Bulls are not flush with.
But we don’t seem to be at that point yet.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49