Oct 29, 2010, 1:28 PM EDT
It’s the first rule of being a consumer, and the Minnesota Timberwolves ignored it. Now they stand little chance of getting any extra compensation from the Portland Trail Blazers in the Martell Webster trade.
For those of you need to brush up on our Latin, caveat emptor means “let the buyer beware.”
The Timberwolves have reportedly asked the league to investigate if Martell Webster — who is currently out six weeks following back surgery — was already injured before the June trade, but Portland kept it hidden.
Good luck with that was essentially what TrueHoop’s Henry Abbott found when he started asking around about it.
First, notice how before every trade (in nearly every sport) the player undergoes a physical? Don’t pass the physical and the trade can be rescinded. Kind of like having your own inspector check out that house you were going to buy, not just take the word of the seller. The Timberwolves had that opportunity and found nothing. Plus, common sense might have helped, as one front office executive told Abbott.
“You can’t watch the freaking playoffs? That was a pretty obvious incident, right on national TV.”
It gets worse — for Minnesota to win this, they have to prove that Portland withheld injury knowledge it had. Portland may well have not known about any injury, but even if they had you have to prove they knew it and chose not to pass it along. Very, very hard to do.
So, Wolves and David Kahn — caveat emptor.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte