Oct 29, 2010, 8:42 AM EDT
Not that it was really ever in question, but there are no plans to bring in a younger coach with better hair and a different system to the Utah Jazz.
Owner Greg Miller gave about as ringing an endorsement of 68-year-old Sloan as he could to the Salt Lake Tribune before the Jazz went out and stunk up the joint in their home opener Thursday.
“I’m in zero hurry to push Jerry out,” said Miller, prior to tipoff of the Jazz’s 2010-11 home opener versus Phoenix. “It’s because he’s still producing. He’s still working as hard today as he was the day we hired him, if not harder…”
“I think he’ll probably die with a shovel in his hand or on a tractor,” Miller said. “And I think if Jerry felt that he was losing a step, he would come to us before we’d notice it.
“So, for the time being, I just consider myself extremely blessed. And I speak for the whole family, for the whole organization, when I say that I consider myself blessed that Jerry Sloan is our coach, and I’m very proud of the fact that he’s been with us as long as he has.”
Sloan may have to work harder than ever to get this group of players to jell and run the offense, at least based on a first game performance. But he’s not going anywhere. Not that anybody thought he was.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 6
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 16
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 7
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 13
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (100)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'