Oct 29, 2010, 8:23 AM EDT
Thunder officials mean it when they say they want to keep Jeff Green as a part of this young team’s core going forward.
Rodney Stuckey is the starting point guard and at the heart of the future of the Detroit Pistons.
Right now, that’s not enough to get you an extension on your rookie contract. Last night reports surfaced that both of these men will be without extensions, meaning at the end of this season they become restricted free agents — they can test the open market but the Thunder (Green) and Pistons (Stuckey) can match any offer.
There are a few factors in play here, but primarily the economic times and the uncertainty over what the new Collective Bargaining Agreement will look like play key roles in the decisions.
Green sounded like there was no bitterness here when he spoke to the Oklahoman.
“I totally understand it,” Green said Thursday. “There are a whole lot of reasons it couldn’t get done right now, but I’m not worried about it. I’m just thinking about this season and what I’ve got to do.”
Stuckey’s situation is complicated by the ongoing sale of the Pistons to Mike Ilitch.
In recent years the top five or six guys in a draft class got their deal extended by teams. This season it is only two — Kevin Durant and Joakim Noah. The Hawks and Al Horford are still in talks and have until next Monday’s deadline to see if they can reach a deal.
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 0
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 3
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 44
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 19
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25