Oct 29, 2010, 8:23 AM EST
Thunder officials mean it when they say they want to keep Jeff Green as a part of this young team’s core going forward.
Rodney Stuckey is the starting point guard and at the heart of the future of the Detroit Pistons.
Right now, that’s not enough to get you an extension on your rookie contract. Last night reports surfaced that both of these men will be without extensions, meaning at the end of this season they become restricted free agents — they can test the open market but the Thunder (Green) and Pistons (Stuckey) can match any offer.
There are a few factors in play here, but primarily the economic times and the uncertainty over what the new Collective Bargaining Agreement will look like play key roles in the decisions.
Green sounded like there was no bitterness here when he spoke to the Oklahoman.
“I totally understand it,” Green said Thursday. “There are a whole lot of reasons it couldn’t get done right now, but I’m not worried about it. I’m just thinking about this season and what I’ve got to do.”
Stuckey’s situation is complicated by the ongoing sale of the Pistons to Mike Ilitch.
In recent years the top five or six guys in a draft class got their deal extended by teams. This season it is only two — Kevin Durant and Joakim Noah. The Hawks and Al Horford are still in talks and have until next Monday’s deadline to see if they can reach a deal.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 1
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 2
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 8
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 8
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)