Oct 29, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Serena and Venus Williams own a piece of the Miami Dolphins. So does Gloria Estefan, Fergie (from Black Eyed Peas) and Marc Anthony. It’s the Dolphins celebrity owner club, part of the South Beach party atmosphere at Dolphins games (all the better to distract people from Chad Henne and that Miami offense).
Now Magic Johnson has spoken to main Dolphins owner Stephen Ross about a role, according to the Associated Press.
“I like Stephen Ross a lot,” Johnson said Friday while attending the Miami Heat’s game against Orlando. “Of course if he wants me to do business with him, we’re going to do business together. If I can’t get something done in L.A. and if he asks me to join the Dolphins, would I? Of course I would.”
“He’s a smart businessman, and he’s a fun businessman,” Johnson said. “See, that’s the difference between a lot of owners. He understands marketing and making it fun, a great atmosphere.
“But my No. 1 priority is to bring the NFL back to L.A.”
If your goal is to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles, it’s smart to have a fallback plan.
Magic recently sold off his 4.5 percent of the Lakers, as well as selling off the 105 Starbucks that he owned. That’s a lot of cash on hand, which he wants to use to start to turn that into an ownership stake in a professional sports team.
I don’t see this working out. The celebrity owners of the Dolphins are figureheads, Magic is looking for a meaty role. He wants to be the face of an NFL franchise in Los Angeles or an NBA team somewhere. Magic is a lot of things, but a figurehead is not one of them.
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 5
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9