Oct 29, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Serena and Venus Williams own a piece of the Miami Dolphins. So does Gloria Estefan, Fergie (from Black Eyed Peas) and Marc Anthony. It’s the Dolphins celebrity owner club, part of the South Beach party atmosphere at Dolphins games (all the better to distract people from Chad Henne and that Miami offense).
Now Magic Johnson has spoken to main Dolphins owner Stephen Ross about a role, according to the Associated Press.
“I like Stephen Ross a lot,” Johnson said Friday while attending the Miami Heat’s game against Orlando. “Of course if he wants me to do business with him, we’re going to do business together. If I can’t get something done in L.A. and if he asks me to join the Dolphins, would I? Of course I would.”
“He’s a smart businessman, and he’s a fun businessman,” Johnson said. “See, that’s the difference between a lot of owners. He understands marketing and making it fun, a great atmosphere.
“But my No. 1 priority is to bring the NFL back to L.A.”
If your goal is to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles, it’s smart to have a fallback plan.
Magic recently sold off his 4.5 percent of the Lakers, as well as selling off the 105 Starbucks that he owned. That’s a lot of cash on hand, which he wants to use to start to turn that into an ownership stake in a professional sports team.
I don’t see this working out. The celebrity owners of the Dolphins are figureheads, Magic is looking for a meaty role. He wants to be the face of an NFL franchise in Los Angeles or an NBA team somewhere. Magic is a lot of things, but a figurehead is not one of them.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6