Oct 29, 2010, 8:56 PM EST
Serena and Venus Williams own a piece of the Miami Dolphins. So does Gloria Estefan, Fergie (from Black Eyed Peas) and Marc Anthony. It’s the Dolphins celebrity owner club, part of the South Beach party atmosphere at Dolphins games (all the better to distract people from Chad Henne and that Miami offense).
Now Magic Johnson has spoken to main Dolphins owner Stephen Ross about a role, according to the Associated Press.
“I like Stephen Ross a lot,” Johnson said Friday while attending the Miami Heat’s game against Orlando. “Of course if he wants me to do business with him, we’re going to do business together. If I can’t get something done in L.A. and if he asks me to join the Dolphins, would I? Of course I would.”
“He’s a smart businessman, and he’s a fun businessman,” Johnson said. “See, that’s the difference between a lot of owners. He understands marketing and making it fun, a great atmosphere.
“But my No. 1 priority is to bring the NFL back to L.A.”
If your goal is to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles, it’s smart to have a fallback plan.
Magic recently sold off his 4.5 percent of the Lakers, as well as selling off the 105 Starbucks that he owned. That’s a lot of cash on hand, which he wants to use to start to turn that into an ownership stake in a professional sports team.
I don’t see this working out. The celebrity owners of the Dolphins are figureheads, Magic is looking for a meaty role. He wants to be the face of an NFL franchise in Los Angeles or an NBA team somewhere. Magic is a lot of things, but a figurehead is not one of them.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45