Oct 29, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
One month before a report surfaced saying a Knicks scout had been conducting improper pre-draft workouts, the team had already cut back his role.
And, as always with the Knicks, it comes back to Isiah Thomas, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
However, a Knicks source contends that Walsh decided to limit (Rodney) Heard’s role because the organization received information that Heard had advised at least one top high school prospect to consider enrolling at FIU, which is coached by Heard’s former boss, Isiah Thomas.
According to a Yahoo report, Heard has conducted improper pre-draft workouts for years and those included Wilson Chandler, who the Knicks drafted seemingly out of the blue. The league is investigating.
Chandler has denied taking part in these workouts and did so again yesterday.
So here we are, entering a third season with Walsh as the head man in the Knicks organization, yet still issues from the Thomas era haunt the team. And force discussions and league investigations. And loom like a cloud over the franchise because would it shock anyone if owner James Dolan once again tried to bring Thomas back into the organization (as he tried to do this summer as a consultant until it was pointed out that coaching a college team and being on an NBA payroll was a conflict).
One interesting note from the story is that Heard was one of the voices in the Knicks organization urging them to draft Brandon Jennings in 2009. The Knicks instead went with the player that coach Mike D’Antoni wanted, Jordan Hill. He is no longer with the team, and they really could have used Jennings.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 0
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 24
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 63
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 7
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 13
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36