Oct 29, 2010, 9:59 AM EST
One month before a report surfaced saying a Knicks scout had been conducting improper pre-draft workouts, the team had already cut back his role.
And, as always with the Knicks, it comes back to Isiah Thomas, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
However, a Knicks source contends that Walsh decided to limit (Rodney) Heard’s role because the organization received information that Heard had advised at least one top high school prospect to consider enrolling at FIU, which is coached by Heard’s former boss, Isiah Thomas.
According to a Yahoo report, Heard has conducted improper pre-draft workouts for years and those included Wilson Chandler, who the Knicks drafted seemingly out of the blue. The league is investigating.
Chandler has denied taking part in these workouts and did so again yesterday.
So here we are, entering a third season with Walsh as the head man in the Knicks organization, yet still issues from the Thomas era haunt the team. And force discussions and league investigations. And loom like a cloud over the franchise because would it shock anyone if owner James Dolan once again tried to bring Thomas back into the organization (as he tried to do this summer as a consultant until it was pointed out that coaching a college team and being on an NBA payroll was a conflict).
One interesting note from the story is that Heard was one of the voices in the Knicks organization urging them to draft Brandon Jennings in 2009. The Knicks instead went with the player that coach Mike D’Antoni wanted, Jordan Hill. He is no longer with the team, and they really could have used Jennings.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 4
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12