Oct 29, 2010, 11:34 AM EST
Dwight Howard and free throws do not have a good relationship. He gets fouled a lot, what with his heavy reliance on power moves in the post, but shot 59.4 percent from the charity stripe last season. Which is right about his career average.
He went 9 for 19 from the line in the Magic season opener… and after his one miss was taken out, at which point he decided to do some punishment pushups on the sidelines.
Why? Is this the new Willie Mays Hayes “Everytime I see you hit one in the air, you owe me 20 push-ups” motivational technique? If so, it would explain Howard’s massive arms and upper body, as the guys at The Basketball Jones pointed out.
“Well, my teammates said I missed too many free throws tonight,” Howard said. “They were all talking about how my form was great on my jump shot, but on my free throws it wasn’t as great. So, they kind of clowned me with that.”
Maybe the real reason is he needed some extra pushups to work up a sweat against the Wizards.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9