Oct 28, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
I laughed at my in-laws last night, in visiting California from their home outside Vegas, when they said they were happy to get to out of Nevada and away from all the attack ads on television. Wait until they see the relentless bashing from our lesser-of-two-evils choice for governor, Jerry Brown and Meg Whitman. I’d say it’s embarrassing the state, but we elected Arnold Schwarzenegger. Twice.
In Ohio, another group has tried to get as nasty as they could with a political attack — bringing LeBron James into the ad.
A mailer sent out by Americans United for Safer Streets used LeBron to attack the Democratic Attorney General because he has allowed Floridians with conceal and carry gun permits to use them in Ohio. Turns out Ohio has stricter laws on who can get guns (drug arrests mean no guns in Ohio, but in Florida the more the merrier).
The mail campaign, launched by Americans United for Safe Streets, uses a photo of James on the cover with a tagline asking, “Florida took LeBron. What did we get in return?” On the mailer’s flip side, the punchline: “They sent us 92 illegal guns and gun-toting criminals. And Richard Cordray is letting them do it.”
The LeBron ad is one of a trio of mail pieces the anti-gun group is sending out against Cordray as well as three pieces being sent out against congressional candidate Tom Ganley. The group said it is sending the mailers to 175,000 homes and spending about $350,000.
Just so we’re clear: A Washington D.C.-based anti-gun organization is spending $350,000 to influence an Ohio election, and they are attacking the Democrat because of a decision about 92 people.
The only thing that can make the Summer of LeBron look sane? Politics.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 52
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 46
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 22
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7