Oct 28, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
The Cleveland Cavaliers likely will be without Anderson Varejao in Toronto Friday as he has been cleared by the team to stay in Cleveland to be with his father, who will have heart surgery Friday, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.
Varejao did not travel with the team. It is unknown if he will be available for Saturday’s game against Sacramento, although that game is back in Cleveland.
Varejao anchored down the middle for the Cavs in their opening night upset of the Celtics. He finished the game with 8 points and 10 rebounds.
Varejao missed part of preseason to travel back to his native Brazil after the death of a family member. However, that happened while he was already nursing an ankle injury, and he likely would not have played during that time.
Best wishes to Varejao and his father this Friday.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 64
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20