Oct 28, 2010, 11:20 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers likely will be without Anderson Varejao in Toronto Friday as he has been cleared by the team to stay in Cleveland to be with his father, who will have heart surgery Friday, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.
Varejao did not travel with the team. It is unknown if he will be available for Saturday’s game against Sacramento, although that game is back in Cleveland.
Varejao anchored down the middle for the Cavs in their opening night upset of the Celtics. He finished the game with 8 points and 10 rebounds.
Varejao missed part of preseason to travel back to his native Brazil after the death of a family member. However, that happened while he was already nursing an ankle injury, and he likely would not have played during that time.
Best wishes to Varejao and his father this Friday.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 5
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11