Oct 28, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
The Cleveland Cavaliers likely will be without Anderson Varejao in Toronto Friday as he has been cleared by the team to stay in Cleveland to be with his father, who will have heart surgery Friday, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.
Varejao did not travel with the team. It is unknown if he will be available for Saturday’s game against Sacramento, although that game is back in Cleveland.
Varejao anchored down the middle for the Cavs in their opening night upset of the Celtics. He finished the game with 8 points and 10 rebounds.
Varejao missed part of preseason to travel back to his native Brazil after the death of a family member. However, that happened while he was already nursing an ankle injury, and he likely would not have played during that time.
Best wishes to Varejao and his father this Friday.
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 9
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 3
- Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record? 18
- Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up? 11
- Wednesday NBA grades: It’s LaMarcus Aldridge’s world and the Rockets have to live in it 21