Oct 28, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
The Cleveland Cavaliers likely will be without Anderson Varejao in Toronto Friday as he has been cleared by the team to stay in Cleveland to be with his father, who will have heart surgery Friday, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.
Varejao did not travel with the team. It is unknown if he will be available for Saturday’s game against Sacramento, although that game is back in Cleveland.
Varejao anchored down the middle for the Cavs in their opening night upset of the Celtics. He finished the game with 8 points and 10 rebounds.
Varejao missed part of preseason to travel back to his native Brazil after the death of a family member. However, that happened while he was already nursing an ankle injury, and he likely would not have played during that time.
Best wishes to Varejao and his father this Friday.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36