Oct 28, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
The Cleveland Cavaliers likely will be without Anderson Varejao in Toronto Friday as he has been cleared by the team to stay in Cleveland to be with his father, who will have heart surgery Friday, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.
Varejao did not travel with the team. It is unknown if he will be available for Saturday’s game against Sacramento, although that game is back in Cleveland.
Varejao anchored down the middle for the Cavs in their opening night upset of the Celtics. He finished the game with 8 points and 10 rebounds.
Varejao missed part of preseason to travel back to his native Brazil after the death of a family member. However, that happened while he was already nursing an ankle injury, and he likely would not have played during that time.
Best wishes to Varejao and his father this Friday.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3