Oct 27, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
In the wake of a report yesterday claiming a Knicks scout has conducted improper predraft workouts for several years, the league is now investigating the situation. That’s not a surprise, but the New York Post has confirmed it.
Meanwhile, Wilson Chandler — one of the players the Knicks allegedly worked out improperly back in 2007, and a player the team drafted that summer near the end of the first round — once again denied he was involved in those workouts. He did that to Howard Beck of the New York Times Wednesday, as he did to Yahoo in the original report.
Chandler could become the center and most serious part of the situation because the Knicks did draft him. New York selected him, No. 23 overall, after his agent cancelled official workouts with a number of teams claiming a sprained ankle.
The Post reports there were no formal workouts with the Knicks and Chandler in 2007. Chandler told Beck he worked out two times in New York. The Yahoo report claims there were improper workouts before draft camp in Atlanta, something Heard also denies.
There’s a lot on the line — jobs for one. Specifically those of Knicks East Coast scout Rodney Heard (who reportedly ran the workouts) and Vice President Glen Grunwald.
The league could go so far as to take draft picks away from the Knicks if the investigation proves the misdeeds. Not that the Knicks have a lot of picks to take anymore.
Meanwhile, the prevailing sentiment in New York is that this all flows back to Isiah Thomas, the man who hired both Heard and Grunwald. Someday the Knicks will not be able to blame all their problems on Thomas, but we are not there yet.
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 2
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 20
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 31
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 45
- Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft 33