Oct 27, 2010, 7:29 PM EDT
The Cavaliers tip-off the post-LeBron James era tonight, coincidentally the same way LeBron kicked off his post-Cleveland era last night — against the Celtics. It will probably end about the same way for both of them.
Tied into the season opener, Cavs owner Dan Gilbert had a lengthy interview with the Cleveland Plain Dealer, where he said some interesting, and at times odd, things. Such as…
My letter was to the fans and supporters of Cleveland. People get a little confused because they think it was a general statement to the world or even to LeBron or to whoever. It really was to the fans and supporters of Cleveland, and I wanted to make sure they knew where I stood and where the franchise stood and how we felt, which apparently was pretty similar to the way they were feeling. No, we don’t have any regrets. We’re looking forward to the future and we’re focused on the future and all that other stuff, but I don’t really think about it in that way.
You should have some regrets about the letter. Here’s the deal — if you had that letter typed up and mailed to each and every Cavs season ticket holder, then you can argue it was for the fans and supporters of Cleveland. The Internet doesn’t work that way — it is a public soapbox. Doesn’t matter what it says on your soapbox, once you stand on it and start talking it’s public for everyone.
The letter played well in Cleveland, I get that. But it didn’t help you with other players that you’ll be trying to recruit to your city and team the next few years, I can promise you that.
In fact, this year we’re projecting our highest revenue that we’ve ever had, so nothing that’s occurred has affected our finances going forward.”
Henry Abbott at TrueHoop said it best about this comment — if this team in this economy at this time is having revenue increases and its finances are fine, then it’s pretty hard for David Stern to tell the union in a Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiation how terrible the league’s finances are.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 12
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 21
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29