Oct 26, 2010, 10:19 AM EDT
George Karl doesn’t care that Carmelo Anthony’s extension sits unsigned, he wants to stay in Denver.
“I don’t like being a businessman,” Karl said in an interview Monday with FanHouse. “But, if that’s what I have to be, I will be.”
“I’m going to live in Denver probably the rest of my life,” said Karl, 59. “So I think that answer (about wanting to re-sign) is yes. But it’s got to be a respectful offer.”
Karl returns to the sidelines Wednesday night after missing the end of last season battling cancer. He will make $4.5 million this year and does not want just a one-year extension, he wants a multi-year deal to stay with the team has coached since 2005.
The question is what direction the Heat will want to go. They have a new owner coming in soon — Josh Kroenke, son of current owner Stan Kroenke (who has to sell the team after buying an NFL franchise) — who likes to be hands on with decisions. There is a new general manager in Masai Ujiri. What direction they want to take the team, and who they want to coach it, are questions yet to be answered.
Karl may or may not be a part of that. The two sides have yet to talk about it, Karl said it is not something he is worried about yet, it only came up when reporters asked.
But Denver would be hard pressed to find a better coach anywhere. Let alone one as committed to the franchise and city.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 8
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 23
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 8
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 101
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (103)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'