Oct 26, 2010, 2:53 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks, who struck out in their pursuit of a top-level free agent this summer and subsequently passed on a potential move to acquire Al Jefferson, have but a few ways to improveme this season. Tyson Chandler, the Mavs’ most significant off-season addition, is the most obvious avenue through which to do so. Beyond Chandler, Dallas will rely on internal improvement through development and familiarity, and no incumbent Mav is expected to make a bigger leap than Rodrigue Beaubois.
Unfortunately, the Mavs will be without Beaubois services when they open the season against the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday. But Chandler, who injured his hand in a preseason game last week, appears to be ready to play. From Tim MacMahon of ESPN Dallas:
Chandler practiced Monday for the first time since injuring his thumb in a preseason loss to the Orlando Magic last week. Barring a setback Tuesday, he’ll be in the rotation for the season opener, although it isn’t clear whether he’ll start or come off the bench behind Brendan Haywood. “I was able to do everything and felt good out there,” said Chandler, who was traded from Charlotte to Dallas this offseason. “Initially going out there, I felt a little skeptical about catching the ball and stuff, but it went well. I felt good today in practice. I’m ready to go.”
Beaubois, on the other hand, is still walking around in a protective boot, and has yet to do any kind of intensive on-court work. The Mavs haven’t set any definitive timetable for Beaubois’ return, and the young guard, who played so brilliantly in limited minutes for the Mavericks last season, will have to wait a bit longer before attempting to take on the great internal and external expectations for his progress this season.
Beaubois was poised to start for Dallas, and none of the Mavs’ other guards made a definitive case to start in his stead during either training camp or the preseason. Jason Terry is probably the most likely candidate to claim the starting role, but Dominique Jones and Shawn Marion are also possibilities.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10