Oct 26, 2010, 12:01 PM EDT
Two years ago, Charles Barkley said he had probably lost $10 million gambling and that it might be a problem. That he liked gambling but had to learn to do so without losing so much money.
“Yeah, I like to gamble. And I’m going to keep gambling. And I just have to tell people, if they don’t like it, they can kiss my a$%. F#@% ‘em. You know, I quit gambling for a while. But then I was like, “Why am I quitting gambling? I don’t have a problem.”
It’s Barkley’s money. He’s earned it. If he feels the need to spend it to help make sure Steve Wynn has a roof over his head and a bed to sleep in, so be it. (I know we’re all a little concerned about the Wynn family and have tried to help out in our own way.) It’s America, he can do what he wants.
But gambling addition is a serious issue. Just because you can afford to lose is different than saying you do or don’t have a problem. Barkley may not have a problem, but the flippancy of the answer to what is a serious problem for many. I wish he would use his pulpit to help spread that message a little. But it’s America, he can do what he wants.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'