Oct 25, 2010, 10:43 AM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal is a hit in Boston. His big, playful personality has been embraced by the city — did you see how many people came out to watch him be a statue?
“That’s a good idea. I’m going to do that. What’s today? Sunday? I’m going to do that next week.”
Shaq is loving his time in Boston and with these Celtics, who just a couple years ago were considered very serious and intense.
“This is the funnest team I’ve been on in my life,” O’Neal said. “These guys are great. Usually I’m the ring leader of bringing fun to a team, but I haven’t even done anything yet. These guys crack me up. Big Baby and Nate, they need their own TV show. Those guys are funny. Just having certain conversations with all the great players, me and Kevin [Garnett] going back to our LA, Minnesota days. It’s just fun. It’s a close-knit group already. We go to dinner together, movies together, play cards. It’s just a fun group. It’s going to be a fun 735 days for me.”
But before he can focus on the next two years, he’s going to have to start playing some ball. Some serious ball. The Celtics start the season Tuesday against the Miami Heat and Shaq will be starting at center. He will be one of the keys to the Celtics winning that game and getting off to a fast start.
If Boston or Shaq struggles to start the season, he’ll learn quickly about the other side of Boston fans. They can be fun loving, but they also can be intense. Very intense.
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 0
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 7
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 9
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18