Oct 25, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
UPDATE 6:28 pm: With no trade to be made, the Pacers decided to cut Magnum Rolle lose. Which means they traded up to get a guy in the second round they then cut.
9:59 am: Welcome to cut-down day. Today is the day NBA rosters need to be at 15 for the season.
The Indiana Pacers are at 16.
According to the Indianapolis Star, the Pacers have been looking for a 2-for-1 trade all weekend to get their roster down.
It’s a Jones trade, the Pacers want to package Dahntay Jones and Solomon Jones in a deal, according to the report. Combined that is $4 million in salary. So far, no takers.
If not, the Pacers have to cut someone and eat some money. Team president Larry Bird said they would do it if they have to.
Three players on the Pacers do not have fully-guaranteed deals, meaning if the Pacers buy them out they don’t have to pay the full amount of the salary — A.J. Price, Josh McRoberts and Magnum Rolle.
However, don’t be shocked if Solomon Jones is the guy cut anyway and the Pacers pay off the $1.5 million he is owed. But thinking about it and actually writing that check are two different things.
A last-minute trade would solve all that, but….
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61