Oct 25, 2010, 3:21 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:21 pm: He had it — Webster went under the knife Monday to remove part of a herniated disc in his back that had been giving him problems, according to the Star Tribune.
No word on a recovery timetable, but four to six weeks sounds likely. Someone on the Timberwolves needs to pick up the scoring on the wing with Webster out — Michael Beasley and Wesley Johnson will get the call. We’ll see how that goes, but it’s not a cause for optimism.
1:53 pm: Martell Webster was scoring 12 points a game and looking pretty good in Minnesota through the first six games of this preseason, until back spasms sidelined him.
Except, it may be more than that, according to the Star-Tribune. Webster will find out Monday if he needs surgery.
“It’s definitely not long term,” Webster said before saying surgery will be a topic discussed at the doctor’s. “I’m waiting and keeping my fingers crossed.
“Maybe not, ” he said, meaning surgery might not be required. “We’re going to take it one step at a time. I’m not going to come back until I’m fully ready because I don’t want to make the problem chronic.”
He will not play when the Timberwolves open the season Wednesday. When he will play remains a question mark.
But on a team that needs scoring from the wings (unless you really think Beasley is the man there), he will be missed. Our advice: Just get the ball to Kevin Love more. Please.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 5
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million