Oct 25, 2010, 3:21 PM EST
UPDATE 3:21 pm: He had it — Webster went under the knife Monday to remove part of a herniated disc in his back that had been giving him problems, according to the Star Tribune.
No word on a recovery timetable, but four to six weeks sounds likely. Someone on the Timberwolves needs to pick up the scoring on the wing with Webster out — Michael Beasley and Wesley Johnson will get the call. We’ll see how that goes, but it’s not a cause for optimism.
1:53 pm: Martell Webster was scoring 12 points a game and looking pretty good in Minnesota through the first six games of this preseason, until back spasms sidelined him.
Except, it may be more than that, according to the Star-Tribune. Webster will find out Monday if he needs surgery.
“It’s definitely not long term,” Webster said before saying surgery will be a topic discussed at the doctor’s. “I’m waiting and keeping my fingers crossed.
“Maybe not, ” he said, meaning surgery might not be required. “We’re going to take it one step at a time. I’m not going to come back until I’m fully ready because I don’t want to make the problem chronic.”
He will not play when the Timberwolves open the season Wednesday. When he will play remains a question mark.
But on a team that needs scoring from the wings (unless you really think Beasley is the man there), he will be missed. Our advice: Just get the ball to Kevin Love more. Please.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)