Oct 25, 2010, 3:21 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:21 pm: He had it — Webster went under the knife Monday to remove part of a herniated disc in his back that had been giving him problems, according to the Star Tribune.
No word on a recovery timetable, but four to six weeks sounds likely. Someone on the Timberwolves needs to pick up the scoring on the wing with Webster out — Michael Beasley and Wesley Johnson will get the call. We’ll see how that goes, but it’s not a cause for optimism.
1:53 pm: Martell Webster was scoring 12 points a game and looking pretty good in Minnesota through the first six games of this preseason, until back spasms sidelined him.
Except, it may be more than that, according to the Star-Tribune. Webster will find out Monday if he needs surgery.
“It’s definitely not long term,” Webster said before saying surgery will be a topic discussed at the doctor’s. “I’m waiting and keeping my fingers crossed.
“Maybe not, ” he said, meaning surgery might not be required. “We’re going to take it one step at a time. I’m not going to come back until I’m fully ready because I don’t want to make the problem chronic.”
He will not play when the Timberwolves open the season Wednesday. When he will play remains a question mark.
But on a team that needs scoring from the wings (unless you really think Beasley is the man there), he will be missed. Our advice: Just get the ball to Kevin Love more. Please.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 19
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 35
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6