Oct 25, 2010, 6:18 PM EDT
Indiana looked for a way around this for the last few days, trying to trade away other assets to keep Magnum Rolle on the roster. Didn’t work out.
Rolle was not blowing anybody away in his limited preseason minutes, but the point with him was always potential. Which is why the Pacers traded with Oklahoma City to get him. There were questions about how much he would improve at age 24, but the raw athleticism was enough to get him a shot.
And Indiana liked what they saw enough to want to keep Rolle and move Solomon Jones, but it’s a numbers game.
With injuries to Jeff Foster and Tyler Hansbrough, the Pacers were thin across the front line behind Roy Hibbert. They needed 6’10” Jones for depth, just in case. Also, it cost $50,000 to buy Rolle out, while Jones had a guaranteed $1.5 million due him, cut or not.
The NBA is a business. A cold, hard business. Rolle got that lesson, some cash and will get the chance to be paid to play at some level this season (hello D-League). If he can start to harness that athleticism, he won’t be the last cut from an NBA team next time around.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record