Oct 25, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
Players around the league are jumping at the chance to get a contract extension in under this Collective Bargaining Agreement. There are some, like the Spurs Richard Jefferson, that took less money this season to guarantee a longer-term deal now. The only prominent exception is Carmelo Anthony, and that is a sticky mess.
And now David West joins the not-yet group, although for him it’s about looking at all the variables, as he explained to the Times-Picayune:
“I’m looking to go in and make the best decision in terms of my future,” West said. “I plan on just playing this year and doing all I can to help this team improve and have a successful year.”
“I don’t want to limit myself and base everything on emotion,” West said. “It can make you weak.”
There are a lot of questions around the Hornets, both in terms of ownership and money GM Dell Demps has to spend. Which are largely separate questions from the direction Demps and coach Monty Williams may take the team.
If he likes how those things shake out, West could decide to pick up his option for next season, $7.5 million. And we know West plays well alongside Chris Paul (assuming he is not traded, but that’s another sticky situation….), for that reason alone the Hornets will welcome him back.
But if he has a big year, West might be able to make more on the open market. Once there is an open market. And depending on however the new Collective Bargaining Agreement shakes out.
There are a lot of variables involved. West might be wise to wait and see.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)