Oct 25, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Players around the league are jumping at the chance to get a contract extension in under this Collective Bargaining Agreement. There are some, like the Spurs Richard Jefferson, that took less money this season to guarantee a longer-term deal now. The only prominent exception is Carmelo Anthony, and that is a sticky mess.
And now David West joins the not-yet group, although for him it’s about looking at all the variables, as he explained to the Times-Picayune:
“I’m looking to go in and make the best decision in terms of my future,” West said. “I plan on just playing this year and doing all I can to help this team improve and have a successful year.”
“I don’t want to limit myself and base everything on emotion,” West said. “It can make you weak.”
There are a lot of questions around the Hornets, both in terms of ownership and money GM Dell Demps has to spend. Which are largely separate questions from the direction Demps and coach Monty Williams may take the team.
If he likes how those things shake out, West could decide to pick up his option for next season, $7.5 million. And we know West plays well alongside Chris Paul (assuming he is not traded, but that’s another sticky situation….), for that reason alone the Hornets will welcome him back.
But if he has a big year, West might be able to make more on the open market. Once there is an open market. And depending on however the new Collective Bargaining Agreement shakes out.
There are a lot of variables involved. West might be wise to wait and see.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 1
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 5
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 3
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16