Oct 25, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Players around the league are jumping at the chance to get a contract extension in under this Collective Bargaining Agreement. There are some, like the Spurs Richard Jefferson, that took less money this season to guarantee a longer-term deal now. The only prominent exception is Carmelo Anthony, and that is a sticky mess.
And now David West joins the not-yet group, although for him it’s about looking at all the variables, as he explained to the Times-Picayune:
“I’m looking to go in and make the best decision in terms of my future,” West said. “I plan on just playing this year and doing all I can to help this team improve and have a successful year.”
“I don’t want to limit myself and base everything on emotion,” West said. “It can make you weak.”
There are a lot of questions around the Hornets, both in terms of ownership and money GM Dell Demps has to spend. Which are largely separate questions from the direction Demps and coach Monty Williams may take the team.
If he likes how those things shake out, West could decide to pick up his option for next season, $7.5 million. And we know West plays well alongside Chris Paul (assuming he is not traded, but that’s another sticky situation….), for that reason alone the Hornets will welcome him back.
But if he has a big year, West might be able to make more on the open market. Once there is an open market. And depending on however the new Collective Bargaining Agreement shakes out.
There are a lot of variables involved. West might be wise to wait and see.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18