Oct 25, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Players around the league are jumping at the chance to get a contract extension in under this Collective Bargaining Agreement. There are some, like the Spurs Richard Jefferson, that took less money this season to guarantee a longer-term deal now. The only prominent exception is Carmelo Anthony, and that is a sticky mess.
And now David West joins the not-yet group, although for him it’s about looking at all the variables, as he explained to the Times-Picayune:
“I’m looking to go in and make the best decision in terms of my future,” West said. “I plan on just playing this year and doing all I can to help this team improve and have a successful year.”
“I don’t want to limit myself and base everything on emotion,” West said. “It can make you weak.”
There are a lot of questions around the Hornets, both in terms of ownership and money GM Dell Demps has to spend. Which are largely separate questions from the direction Demps and coach Monty Williams may take the team.
If he likes how those things shake out, West could decide to pick up his option for next season, $7.5 million. And we know West plays well alongside Chris Paul (assuming he is not traded, but that’s another sticky situation….), for that reason alone the Hornets will welcome him back.
But if he has a big year, West might be able to make more on the open market. Once there is an open market. And depending on however the new Collective Bargaining Agreement shakes out.
There are a lot of variables involved. West might be wise to wait and see.
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 4
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 6
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 10
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 37
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27
- Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard have little dust up; Kobe calls Howard “soft” (VIDEO) 61