Oct 25, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
UPDATE 11:42 am: X-rays on Gasol’s ankle came back negative, so there is no serious damage. That’s good news, now it’s just a matter of healing and pain tolerance.
No word yet on if he plays Wednesday, may be a game time decision.
10:59 am: Wednesday night, when the Grizzlies open the season against the Hawks, center Marc Gasol may have to sit it out.
Gasol suffered a high ankle sprain in practice Sunday, stepping on the foot of Hasheem Thabeet, according to the Commercial Appeal. He got ice and treatment, but it won’t be until later Monday until the full extent of the injury is known (after an MRI).
However, high ankle sprains are the more serious variety, which can linger for a week or more.
It’s a blow to a Grizzlies team that comes in on a high. They surprised everyone with a 40-win season last year then seemed to step up their play in the preseason, going 8-0. They start the season talking of playoffs, of being a team to fear. Gasol, anchoring down the middle, was a key part of that.
One ankle sprain that could cost a few games does not change that. But it is deflating.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games