Oct 25, 2010, 8:46 AM EDT
You do not get to choose your own nickname. It is given to you, it sticks or doesn’t, but there is an organic process to it.
Shaquille O’Neal gave Dwyane Wade the nickname “Flash” and it stuck. Now Wade wants to unstick it.
It’s probably part of the “that’s the old me, this is the new me” thing with the Heat. And it is Shaq who gave him that nickname and the Heat will take on his Celtics in the season opener on Tuesday, Winderman notes.
Nice try, but Flash doesn’t get to decide what we call him.
You can end up with multiple nicknames, but you don’t get to pick and choose. (There is a myth going around that Sasha Vujacic gave himself “the machine” nickname. He didn’t, teammates did. As Kobe said, if he had given it to himself his teammates would never have allowed it.)
Besides, what’s wrong with “Flash?” Great nickname. Superhero. Fastst guy on the planet. It’s not like he’s been called “crash test dummy” for the way he goes crashing into he floor every time he attacks the rim.
Bottom line, you’re stuck with it, Flash.
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 0
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 12
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 12
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 17
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23