Oct 24, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
NBA players make a lot, I don’t know if you’ve heard. Millions, in fact. So when they say they’re saving, it’s not really all that notable. After all, they do get a per-diem, which continues to blow my mind. They make millions of dollars, but then they get a considerable amount of money just to eat and travel. I gotta work that in my next NBC contract.
But what is notable is why they’re saving money. Chris Kaman is a great example of such a player. From the LA Times:
“There’s a lot of negotiations that are going on, and I don’t really know how it’s going to end up,” the Clippers‘Chris Kaman said Thursday. “They’re saying lockout. You just never know. You’ve just got to be ready and prepare yourself for that, moneywise.
“I’ve been saving a lot — looking out.”
On one hand, it’s good news because you don’t want anyone to suffer through being short on money. On the other, it’s frustrating because it’s not like Kaman’s going to be hurting to come up with rent money, and in the meantime, he’s basically preparing himself in case the fans get denied a 2011-2012 season. The fact that the lockout has become almost unavoidable at this point is depressing, and the situation gets more dire with every passing salvo.
But hey, at least Chris Kaman will be comfortable for it.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 5
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 4
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 16
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games