Oct 22, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Fans have not been loving what LeBron James did this summer. Well, outside of Miami anyway, there they love it. Understandably. But you’ve seen the polls and heard the pundits for months — most of the country thought the way he handed this summer was amateurish and some thought the decision itself flawed.
Other NBA players, they liked it. Oh, they say all the right things in public, but they liked it. A lot.
And ESPN’s “Player X” anonymous source told why, as relayed on the Heat Index blog by Kevin Arnovitz.
While the fans hate, the players applaud, because symbolically, the Summer of LeBron was a blow to the owners. And a blow to the owners is a win for us. We love that LeBron ran the show from start to finish, called every shot. That’s a welcome change from the owner-player dynamic, which we all think should operate more like a partnership. It’s about time the owners were forced to recognize that we are the ones bringing value to their investments.
It’s old-school labor vs. management. One of the workers showed his power — well within the much-negotiated system — and the others stand up and applaud. That’s what we have here.
Not that the players will say it publicly.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 6
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1