Oct 22, 2010, 10:00 PM EST
Fans have not been loving what LeBron James did this summer. Well, outside of Miami anyway, there they love it. Understandably. But you’ve seen the polls and heard the pundits for months — most of the country thought the way he handed this summer was amateurish and some thought the decision itself flawed.
Other NBA players, they liked it. Oh, they say all the right things in public, but they liked it. A lot.
And ESPN’s “Player X” anonymous source told why, as relayed on the Heat Index blog by Kevin Arnovitz.
While the fans hate, the players applaud, because symbolically, the Summer of LeBron was a blow to the owners. And a blow to the owners is a win for us. We love that LeBron ran the show from start to finish, called every shot. That’s a welcome change from the owner-player dynamic, which we all think should operate more like a partnership. It’s about time the owners were forced to recognize that we are the ones bringing value to their investments.
It’s old-school labor vs. management. One of the workers showed his power — well within the much-negotiated system — and the others stand up and applaud. That’s what we have here.
Not that the players will say it publicly.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 8: Kobe Bryant returns 4
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 3
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 5
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 43
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 16
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22