Oct 22, 2010, 7:14 PM EST
Finally they sell out a sporting event in Tampa Bay… and it’s canceled.
The NBA cancelled the preseason game in Tampa between the Heat and Magic, which was schedule for tonight (and was to be shown on ESPN).
Officially the NBA says it is because of unsafe playing conditions. Officially — the floor is wet. This is the same arena where the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning played last night and they crews came out and put the floor over the ice last night.
However, to get that rarely-used court looking good for national television, the crews had put a polish on the court that left a slick, oily residue. One that would not go away.
It was that way in the morning, so much so that Stan Van Gundy was complaining about it earlier at shoot around. Which became a walk through because he didn’t want his players to run and cut on the floor.
It never got better, it could not be easily removed.
The NBA says the game will be rescheduled. However, when remains a mystery, with Heat starting the preseason next Tuesday it will have to be a year from now. If they can get the court dry by then.
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 5
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 10
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 23
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17