Oct 22, 2010, 7:14 PM EDT
Finally they sell out a sporting event in Tampa Bay… and it’s canceled.
The NBA cancelled the preseason game in Tampa between the Heat and Magic, which was schedule for tonight (and was to be shown on ESPN).
Officially the NBA says it is because of unsafe playing conditions. Officially — the floor is wet. This is the same arena where the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning played last night and they crews came out and put the floor over the ice last night.
However, to get that rarely-used court looking good for national television, the crews had put a polish on the court that left a slick, oily residue. One that would not go away.
It was that way in the morning, so much so that Stan Van Gundy was complaining about it earlier at shoot around. Which became a walk through because he didn’t want his players to run and cut on the floor.
It never got better, it could not be easily removed.
The NBA says the game will be rescheduled. However, when remains a mystery, with Heat starting the preseason next Tuesday it will have to be a year from now. If they can get the court dry by then.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 17
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 8
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants