Oct 22, 2010, 7:14 PM EDT
Finally they sell out a sporting event in Tampa Bay… and it’s canceled.
The NBA cancelled the preseason game in Tampa between the Heat and Magic, which was schedule for tonight (and was to be shown on ESPN).
Officially the NBA says it is because of unsafe playing conditions. Officially — the floor is wet. This is the same arena where the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning played last night and they crews came out and put the floor over the ice last night.
However, to get that rarely-used court looking good for national television, the crews had put a polish on the court that left a slick, oily residue. One that would not go away.
It was that way in the morning, so much so that Stan Van Gundy was complaining about it earlier at shoot around. Which became a walk through because he didn’t want his players to run and cut on the floor.
It never got better, it could not be easily removed.
The NBA says the game will be rescheduled. However, when remains a mystery, with Heat starting the preseason next Tuesday it will have to be a year from now. If they can get the court dry by then.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 0
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 2
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 21
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 33