Oct 22, 2010, 11:38 AM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire is going to have a huge year.
He is the go-to option on the Knicks. They have some guys who are solid NBA role players on the roster, but there is no real number two option in the way that the Lakers, Celtics, Heat or even Thunder have one.
Because of that Stoudemire is a very talented player who is going to get more looks now than ever. He is the guy on the team who best understands how to get open within this offense and he will take advantage.
And most of all he wants to take it on — he wants to be the leader of the New York Knicks. He wants the rock.
He put up 39 on the Nets the other night and Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni thinks there could be more of that, as he told the Daily News.
“I’m hoping he’s the MVP this year,” D’Antoni said. “That’s kind of what he should shoot for and I’m sure what he’s trying to be.”
If the Knicks dreams of making the playoff are going to have to happen, he is going to have to have an MVP-like season. That or they have to land Carmelo Anthony in a trade, but we’re not talking about that.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 61
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2