Oct 22, 2010, 11:38 AM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire is going to have a huge year.
He is the go-to option on the Knicks. They have some guys who are solid NBA role players on the roster, but there is no real number two option in the way that the Lakers, Celtics, Heat or even Thunder have one.
Because of that Stoudemire is a very talented player who is going to get more looks now than ever. He is the guy on the team who best understands how to get open within this offense and he will take advantage.
And most of all he wants to take it on — he wants to be the leader of the New York Knicks. He wants the rock.
He put up 39 on the Nets the other night and Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni thinks there could be more of that, as he told the Daily News.
“I’m hoping he’s the MVP this year,” D’Antoni said. “That’s kind of what he should shoot for and I’m sure what he’s trying to be.”
If the Knicks dreams of making the playoff are going to have to happen, he is going to have to have an MVP-like season. That or they have to land Carmelo Anthony in a trade, but we’re not talking about that.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11