Oct 22, 2010, 11:38 AM EST
Amar’e Stoudemire is going to have a huge year.
He is the go-to option on the Knicks. They have some guys who are solid NBA role players on the roster, but there is no real number two option in the way that the Lakers, Celtics, Heat or even Thunder have one.
Because of that Stoudemire is a very talented player who is going to get more looks now than ever. He is the guy on the team who best understands how to get open within this offense and he will take advantage.
And most of all he wants to take it on — he wants to be the leader of the New York Knicks. He wants the rock.
He put up 39 on the Nets the other night and Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni thinks there could be more of that, as he told the Daily News.
“I’m hoping he’s the MVP this year,” D’Antoni said. “That’s kind of what he should shoot for and I’m sure what he’s trying to be.”
If the Knicks dreams of making the playoff are going to have to happen, he is going to have to have an MVP-like season. That or they have to land Carmelo Anthony in a trade, but we’re not talking about that.
- What rust? Russell Westbrook returns, puts up 32 points in 24 minutes (VIDEO) 2
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 3
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8