Oct 22, 2010, 11:38 AM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire is going to have a huge year.
He is the go-to option on the Knicks. They have some guys who are solid NBA role players on the roster, but there is no real number two option in the way that the Lakers, Celtics, Heat or even Thunder have one.
Because of that Stoudemire is a very talented player who is going to get more looks now than ever. He is the guy on the team who best understands how to get open within this offense and he will take advantage.
And most of all he wants to take it on — he wants to be the leader of the New York Knicks. He wants the rock.
He put up 39 on the Nets the other night and Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni thinks there could be more of that, as he told the Daily News.
“I’m hoping he’s the MVP this year,” D’Antoni said. “That’s kind of what he should shoot for and I’m sure what he’s trying to be.”
If the Knicks dreams of making the playoff are going to have to happen, he is going to have to have an MVP-like season. That or they have to land Carmelo Anthony in a trade, but we’re not talking about that.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61