Oct 22, 2010, 1:24 PM EDT
Last month, the NBA and D-League announced a new affiliate allocation rule, through which NBA teams are able to pick up the D-League rights of up to three of their last training camp cuts for their D-League affiliates. Effectively, it allows NBA squads to keep an even closer eye on the prospects that interested them in training camp; if those three chosen training campers decide they’d like to ply their basketball trade in the D-League, they’ll do so for their camp team’s affiliate and, optimally, under the watchful eye of the NBA team itself.
We’ve seen a number of teams lay the groundwork for utilizing this rule. It’s the simple explanation for a series of late-camp additions that would otherwise seem a bit curious. Among those additions was the Dallas Mavericks’ signing of Rashad McCants and Sean Williams, who were both subsequently waived before they did anything in Dallas at all. The Mavs didn’t ink those deals and then change their minds over the course of a few days; Donnie Nelson undoubtedly had his eye on the Texas Legends, the Mavs’ D-League affiliate which he co-owns with Evan Wyly and soon-to-be-co-owner Sonny Xiao.
McCants and Williams are both NBA-caliber talent, but have slipped out of the league based on issues that have less to do with basketball skill and more with their work ethic, focus, and off-court behavior. The latter applies far more to Williams than to McCants, but Rashad nonetheless battles a bit of a trouble-making reputation. Nelson and the Legends likely hope that McCants and Williams’ recent encounter with career mortality has humbled them, and that a stint with the Legends would represent a fresh start rather than a demotion. Only time will tell, but if McCants and Williams are willing to play ball with the Legends, it’d be a huge boon for the fledgling D-League team in the talent department.
The Legends’ roster sheet is currently blank, and should the Legends secure two quasi-NBAers as their roster starter kit, they’d have a solid foundation going into the D-League draft.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15