Oct 22, 2010, 7:27 PM EDT
Bad news on the thumb injury Miami Heat sharpshooter Mike Miller suffered in practice — he will be out until January, according to Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
The injury was a fluke — Miller’s thumb just got caught in another player’s jersey and got pulled. He underwent a 45-minute procedure Friday to repair both a broken bone and torn ligaments. His hand will be in a cast for a month followed by a splint. Followed by plenty of rehab.
“It’s good to finally have a resolution about his injury, and now a course of action to make it better,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said before what was scheduled to be his team’s exhibition finale, a Friday game in Tampa eventually canceled due to a slick court surface above the ice used by the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lighting. “I feel bad for Mike. I know how badly he wanted to get this season started in the right way. He’s down right now, but it’s the unfortunate reality of our profession. I knew this season wasn’t going to be easy.”
This is a blow to the Heat, and another setback in efforts to build the cohesion with the team’s core. Miller is supposed to be the sharpshooter off the bench for the Heat, although during the preseason he has started several games due to Dwyane Wade’s strained hamstring. His ability to stretch the floor will be missed. He is the most consistent three-point shooter on the team and has hit 38.5 percent of his long balls this preseason, after hitting 48 percent last season.
How key is he? Miller was one of the first free agents the Heat went after once the Big Three were in place because they realized they needed a pure shooter to stretch the floor. They signed him to a five-year, $25 million deal.
With Miller out, the less consistent but capable Eddie House will step into that role.
The Heat are now looking at options for depth at the three, including bringing in unsigned veteran Jerry Stackhouse, according to Winderman. If you think that is a good thing, you haven’t seen Stackhouse play for a couple years.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 3
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 9
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4