Oct 22, 2010, 7:27 PM EDT
Bad news on the thumb injury Miami Heat sharpshooter Mike Miller suffered in practice — he will be out until January, according to Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
The injury was a fluke — Miller’s thumb just got caught in another player’s jersey and got pulled. He underwent a 45-minute procedure Friday to repair both a broken bone and torn ligaments. His hand will be in a cast for a month followed by a splint. Followed by plenty of rehab.
“It’s good to finally have a resolution about his injury, and now a course of action to make it better,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said before what was scheduled to be his team’s exhibition finale, a Friday game in Tampa eventually canceled due to a slick court surface above the ice used by the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lighting. “I feel bad for Mike. I know how badly he wanted to get this season started in the right way. He’s down right now, but it’s the unfortunate reality of our profession. I knew this season wasn’t going to be easy.”
This is a blow to the Heat, and another setback in efforts to build the cohesion with the team’s core. Miller is supposed to be the sharpshooter off the bench for the Heat, although during the preseason he has started several games due to Dwyane Wade’s strained hamstring. His ability to stretch the floor will be missed. He is the most consistent three-point shooter on the team and has hit 38.5 percent of his long balls this preseason, after hitting 48 percent last season.
How key is he? Miller was one of the first free agents the Heat went after once the Big Three were in place because they realized they needed a pure shooter to stretch the floor. They signed him to a five-year, $25 million deal.
With Miller out, the less consistent but capable Eddie House will step into that role.
The Heat are now looking at options for depth at the three, including bringing in unsigned veteran Jerry Stackhouse, according to Winderman. If you think that is a good thing, you haven’t seen Stackhouse play for a couple years.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2