Oct 21, 2010, 6:49 PM EST
The Washington Wizards have cut both Adam Morrison and Sean Marks.
This move means that Morrison’s NBA career is likely all but over. The former Gonzaga star and #3 overall pick never came close to having anything resembling NBA success during his three years in the league. Morrison came out of college with a polished and dynamic scoring game, but he had neither the talent to score consistently in the NBA or the ability to adapt his game once it became clear he’d never be anything more than a role player.
Morrison was able to put up points during his rookie season, when the Bobcats allowed him to shoot the ball 12.1 times a game, but he never scored efficiently or contributed anything significant with his passing, rebounding, or defense. (When Morrison’s scoring totals put him in the rookie of the year conversation about a month or two into his rookie season, David Berri broke out the following gem: “the only talent Morrison has shown at the NBA level is the ability to heave the ball in the direction of the basket at a prolific rate.”)
Morrison was traded to the Lakers during his second year in the league, but never made it past “human victory cigar” status for the team. Now that he’s been cut by the Wizards, the chances of Morrison ever making an NBA roster appear slim.
Morrison’s career NBA averages are 7.5 points, 2.1 rebounds, and 1.4 assists per game on 37.3% shooting from the field. His career-high PER was 7.91 — 15 represents the league average for PER. It’s official — Michael Jordan drafted two of the biggest busts of the decade.
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 27
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 20