Oct 21, 2010, 2:11 PM EDT
The NBA is a business. First. Last. Always. Don’t ever forget it.
So it was very hard for Jazz general manager to Kevin O’Connner to call Sundiata Gaines into his office Thursday and cut him loose, but that’s what the business demanded. The Jazz are over the luxury tax and every $1 saved in payroll is $2 with the tax. So Gaines is gone, along with Ryan Thompson and Othyus Jeffers.
Gaines — the D-League call-up with one of the last season’s most dramatic game winners — will be missed. Jerry Sloan, who is old-school tough on rookies, gave the guy key burn. Gaines looks like a guy who can play in the Association.
Just not for the Jazz this season. For now he is headed back to the D-League.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 20
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61