Oct 21, 2010, 2:11 PM EDT
The NBA is a business. First. Last. Always. Don’t ever forget it.
So it was very hard for Jazz general manager to Kevin O’Connner to call Sundiata Gaines into his office Thursday and cut him loose, but that’s what the business demanded. The Jazz are over the luxury tax and every $1 saved in payroll is $2 with the tax. So Gaines is gone, along with Ryan Thompson and Othyus Jeffers.
Gaines — the D-League call-up with one of the last season’s most dramatic game winners — will be missed. Jerry Sloan, who is old-school tough on rookies, gave the guy key burn. Gaines looks like a guy who can play in the Association.
Just not for the Jazz this season. For now he is headed back to the D-League.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 9
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 5
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 51
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 29
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20