Oct 21, 2010, 2:11 PM EDT
The NBA is a business. First. Last. Always. Don’t ever forget it.
So it was very hard for Jazz general manager to Kevin O’Connner to call Sundiata Gaines into his office Thursday and cut him loose, but that’s what the business demanded. The Jazz are over the luxury tax and every $1 saved in payroll is $2 with the tax. So Gaines is gone, along with Ryan Thompson and Othyus Jeffers.
Gaines — the D-League call-up with one of the last season’s most dramatic game winners — will be missed. Jerry Sloan, who is old-school tough on rookies, gave the guy key burn. Gaines looks like a guy who can play in the Association.
Just not for the Jazz this season. For now he is headed back to the D-League.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 16
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 76
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 9
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36