Oct 21, 2010, 2:11 PM EDT
The NBA is a business. First. Last. Always. Don’t ever forget it.
So it was very hard for Jazz general manager to Kevin O’Connner to call Sundiata Gaines into his office Thursday and cut him loose, but that’s what the business demanded. The Jazz are over the luxury tax and every $1 saved in payroll is $2 with the tax. So Gaines is gone, along with Ryan Thompson and Othyus Jeffers.
Gaines — the D-League call-up with one of the last season’s most dramatic game winners — will be missed. Jerry Sloan, who is old-school tough on rookies, gave the guy key burn. Gaines looks like a guy who can play in the Association.
Just not for the Jazz this season. For now he is headed back to the D-League.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14