Oct 21, 2010, 2:11 PM EST
The NBA is a business. First. Last. Always. Don’t ever forget it.
So it was very hard for Jazz general manager to Kevin O’Connner to call Sundiata Gaines into his office Thursday and cut him loose, but that’s what the business demanded. The Jazz are over the luxury tax and every $1 saved in payroll is $2 with the tax. So Gaines is gone, along with Ryan Thompson and Othyus Jeffers.
Gaines — the D-League call-up with one of the last season’s most dramatic game winners — will be missed. Jerry Sloan, who is old-school tough on rookies, gave the guy key burn. Gaines looks like a guy who can play in the Association.
Just not for the Jazz this season. For now he is headed back to the D-League.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14