Oct 21, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT
Gus Johnson’s excitable… okay, sometimes wildly excitable, over-the-top calls are a part of March Madness and a host of other sporting events that help make it for me. Johnson sounds more like a fan in the booth — he is into it and pumped up.
That works for some. Not for others.
Apparently not for Madison Square Garden Management.
They cut Johnson loose as the radio play-by-play voice of the Knicks, according to the New York Post (a publication that can get a tad excitable itself). Johnson’s contract was up and MSG is not bringing him back. Apparently they were not happy with how much time Johnson was taking off to do other sports such as the NCAA tournament and boxing.
Mike Crispino will take over on play-by-play duties. Johnson took over the radio job three years ago when Mike Breen jumped to the television side only.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 7
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 7
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 19