Oct 21, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT
Gus Johnson’s excitable… okay, sometimes wildly excitable, over-the-top calls are a part of March Madness and a host of other sporting events that help make it for me. Johnson sounds more like a fan in the booth — he is into it and pumped up.
That works for some. Not for others.
Apparently not for Madison Square Garden Management.
They cut Johnson loose as the radio play-by-play voice of the Knicks, according to the New York Post (a publication that can get a tad excitable itself). Johnson’s contract was up and MSG is not bringing him back. Apparently they were not happy with how much time Johnson was taking off to do other sports such as the NCAA tournament and boxing.
Mike Crispino will take over on play-by-play duties. Johnson took over the radio job three years ago when Mike Breen jumped to the television side only.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70